FTSE 100 Live: Stocks and Oil Rise After Trump Claims Hormuz
Iran rejected the claim as a pressure tactic while maritime-law experts said a social media post cannot change borders or legal control.
- On Tuesday, President Donald Trump used his Truth Social account to publish a graphic branding the Strait of Hormuz as "NEW U.S. Territory," a claim emerging as the standoff between Washington and Tehran approaches its sixth month.
- Monday marked the expiration of a 60-day U.S.-Iran memorandum of understanding that failed to produce a peace deal, leaving the U.S. naval blockade of Iranian ports in full force and effect.
- Rejecting the claim, Iranian deputy foreign minister Kazem Gharibabadi insisted the waterway "has been Iranian, is Iranian, and will remain Iranian," as maritime traffic through the strait dropped 19.5 per cent last week.
- Trump's threat to strike Oman if it "gets in the way" of reopening the waterway prompted Senator Tim Kaine of Virginia to introduce a War Powers Resolution specifically barring military action against the sultanate.
- Legal experts like Bruce Fein, an associate deputy attorney general under Ronald Reagan, argue that a social media post cannot redraw a border; annexing territory requires a treaty ratified by the Senate or an act of Congress.
29 Articles
29 Articles
Donald Trump is making a stir with a new map: the street of Hormus is marked as a U.S. territory. At the same time, the president claims that the important strait is open, although it is in fact still closed.
The US's desire to unilaterally open the Strait of Hormuz and then control it too far from Washington's real possibilities was expressed in Tehran.
After the expiration of the 60 days of truce - concluded on Monday - the situation in the Middle East remains very hot. To throw gasoline on the fire is, once again, the president of the United States, Donald Trump, who on his social network Truth published a map, in which was circled the Strait of Hormuz and, above, appears the inscription "New U.S. territory." A provocation that unleashed the immediate reply of Tehran: "Presto his illusion reg…
Behind the big news: Understanding or confrontation?
WASHINGTON - US President Donald Trump said Tuesday that no talks with Iran are under way or scheduled, as he posted a map showing the Strait of Hormuz as a new American territory in a fresh jibe at Tehran.
New provocation by Donald Trump. The US president published on Tuesday an image on his Social Truth network in which he declares the Strait of Ormuz to be American "new territory" without adding any comments.The "conquest" takes place after the 60-day deadline given by the US and Iran to negotiate an agreement and without any sign of peace returning to the Middle East has expired.Continue reading....
The former of Tania Terrin denounced three more times, political blizzard. (ANSA)
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 60% of the sources lean Right
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium






















