US Lifts Sanctions Against Francesca Albanese, UN Rapporteur on Palestinians
The Treasury Department reversed the penalty after a judge said it targeted Albanese’s speech, ending sanctions imposed in July over her Gaza reporting.
- On Wednesday, the US Treasury Department removed Francesca Albanese from its sanctions list following a temporary injunction issued by US District Judge Richard Leon.
- The Trump administration imposed sanctions after accusing Albanese of "biased and malicious activities" and "lawfare" for recommending International Criminal Court arrest warrants for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Yoav Gallant.
- District Judge Richard Leon found the administration violated the UN expert's free-speech rights, stating officials sought to regulate speech solely because of the "idea or message expressed."
- Albanese's husband and daughter sued the administration in February, prompting the injunction; she previously stated the sanctions were "calculated to weaken my mission" and thanked her family for "stepping up" in her defense.
- Washington has used sanctions to pressure advocates for Palestinians and progressive causes, while earlier this week, the administration sanctioned activists alleging they were trying to reach Gaza "in support of Hamas.
48 Articles
48 Articles
US Removes UN Gaza Rapporteur Francesca Albanese From Sanctions List
The United States has removed U.N. special rapporteur Francesca Albanese from its sanctions list, according to a May 20 notice posted by the Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control. The notice said Albanese, listed as Francesca Paola Albanese, had been deleted from the Specially Designated Nationals list under an International Criminal Court-related sanctions program. The sanctions barred her from entering the United States and b…
The U.S. government withdrew on Wednesday the sanctions imposed against Francesca Albanese, United Nations Special Rapporteur for the Occupied Palestinian Territories, a week after a federal judge in Washington suspended the measures imposed in 2025 by the administration of U.S. President Donald Trump against the Italian jurist. Contacted by EL PAÍS, Albanese has declared: “It is great news. Even if it arrives on another sad day, marked by Israe…
The government has removed the name of the UN Special Rapporteur for Palestine from the list of sanctioned individuals, in which she was included since mid 2025 for her criticism of the Israeli genocide.A U.S. court suspends Trump's sanctions against the UN Rapporteur on Palestine The U.S. government has withdrawn the sanctions it had imposed on Francesca Albanese, United Nations Special Rapporteur for Human Rights in the Occupied Palestinian Te…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 42% of the sources lean Right
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium



























