Trump Says Land Attacks Against Alleged Drug Smugglers Are Set To Start 'Very Soon'
U.S. military plans to expand Operation Southern Spear with land attacks targeting Venezuelan drug traffickers after killing over 80 suspects in sea strikes, officials said.
- On Thursday, President Donald Trump told U.S. service members he will escalate action against alleged Venezuelan drug smugglers very soon and suggested land operations may begin.
- In recent weeks, U.S. forces have increased their presence in the Caribbean, including the USS Gerald R. Ford and USS Winston Churchill last week, while maritime strikes killed over 80 people and Gen. Dan Caine visited Puerto Rico.
- Smugglers move cocaine using 40-foot boats and can earn $100,000 per run, with cargoes worth up to $70 million, and Trump said `Of course, there aren't too many coming in by sea anymore`; Adm. Nathan Moore said routes remain unchanged despite over 20 strikes.
- Delcy Rodríguez, Venezuelan vice-president, accused the build-up of aiming to seize oil, gas, diamonds, iron, and bauxite, while President Nicolás Maduro vowed to fight any 'imperialist threat or aggression' and brandished a ceremonial sword.
- Despite diplomatic talks, officials note the exact land options remain unclear as the U.S. administration has designated Venezuela's leadership a foreign terrorist organization and combines diplomatic pressure, military positioning and sanctions.
14 Articles
14 Articles
Venezuela: Trump signals imminent land attacks
As tensions and rhetoric between the US and Venezuela continue to rise, President Donald Trump has announced the closure of Venezuelan airspace — sparking fears of an imminent US land attack.
Trump said earlier this week that land strikes would soon be launched to stop drug traffickers.
Trump says land strikes in Venezuela could start “very soon”
After months of deadly strikes on boats in Venezuela, President Trump says land strikes could begin “very soon”. The Trump administration says it is targeting alleged drug traffickers. NBC News’ Kelly O’Donnell reports.
Trump's high-stakes gambit with foreign foe revealed
President Donald Trump and Venezuelan leader Nicolas Maduro are reportedly discussing a potential diplomatic meeting amid rising tensions between the two nations, with the United States placing immense pressure on Venezuela.Sources familiar with the matter told the Times that while the leaders discussed a possible encounter, no concrete plans have been finalized. The timing of these talks is significant as the Trump administration has taken incr…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 50% of the sources lean Left
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium










