Trump tells Fortune he should have asked for bigger Intel stake
Trump said he asked Intel for 10% ownership for free and argued the chipmaker would be larger with stronger tariff protection.
- President Donald Trump told Fortune in an interview published Monday he regrets asking for only "10% ownership for free" of Intel, joking he should have demanded more during negotiations with Intel CEO Lip-Bu Tan.
- Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick secured a 9.9% government stake in Intel nine months earlier by converting $5.7 billion in CHIPS Act grants and $3.2 billion in additional awards into equity.
- Intel stock has surged more than 300% since the deal, bolstered by preliminary agreements with Apple and Tesla CEO Elon Musk's $119 billion Terafab project, as demand for CPUs continues to outstrip supply.
- Trump claimed protective tariffs earlier would have made Intel "the biggest company in the world," asserting the firm would have captured business now dominated by Taiwan-based TSMC.
- Shares currently trade 11.9% above the 20-day SMA, with investors monitoring the next major catalyst at the July 23 earnings report as the firm navigates its strategic importance in AI infrastructure.
16 Articles
16 Articles
President Trump Says He Should Have Asked for an Even Bigger Intel Stake * 100PercentFedUp.com * by Donald
Most politicians would take a victory lap and move on. President Trump looked at the Intel deal and said Washington left money on the table. In a wide-ranging interview with Fortune, Trump was blunt about the government’s equity stake in Intel, the chipmaker that received billions in federal support to keep advanced semiconductor manufacturing on American soil. Fortune Editor-in-Chief @ajs spent an hour in the Oval Office with President Trump. …
Trump's new corporate playbook: Why the administration is taking equity stakes in companies like Intel
In an interview with Fortune, President Trump discusses the dealmaking initiatives behind Washington's growing portfolio of corporate equity stakes.
Trump Reflects On Intel Deal And U.S. Chip Strategy
President Donald Trump said he should have negotiated a larger government stake in Intel during last year’s landmark rescue deal with the struggling U.S. chipmaker. In an interview with Fortune, Trump recalled asking Intel CEO Lip-Bu Tan for 10% ownership in the company “for free” in exchange for government support. Trump said Tan immediately agreed, prompting the president to joke that he “should have asked for more.” Trump says he should've as…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 55% of the sources lean Right
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium













