Rubio Doubtful of Diplomacy with Cuba as Trump Raises New Threat of Military Action
Trump and Marco Rubio said the administration prefers talks, but U.S. officials again raised the option of force after an indictment over the 1996 shootdown.
- On Thursday, President Donald Trump and Secretary of State Marco Rubio renewed threats of military intervention in Cuba, escalating pressure a day after federal prosecutors unsealed an indictment against former leader Raúl Castro.
- Trump previously ordered an energy blockade that triggered severe economic collapse across Cuba, pledging a "friendly takeover" if the island refused to open its economy to American investment and remove U.S. adversaries.
- Rubio expressed doubt that the U.S. could reach a diplomatic resolution with Cuba's current government, citing its ties to American adversaries, yet noted "the president always has the option to do whatever it takes to support and protect the national interest."
- The U.S. Southern Command deployed the USS Nimitz aircraft carrier to the Caribbean Sea on the same day the indictment was announced, while Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Guo Jiakun stated China "firmly supports Cuba in safeguarding its national sovereignty."
- Observers see parallels to the January military operation that captured then-Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro, though officials remain tight-lipped on how the U.S. might implement the indictment as Castro approaches age 95 next month.
90 Articles
90 Articles
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Cuba poses a "national security threat" to the US and the chances of an agreement are "not great". Donald Trump, meanwhile, has threatened regime change and said he will be the US president who takes real action.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on Thursday that he views Cuba as a “national security risk” and that he the way…
Democrats renew effort to prevent US military action against Cuba
A trio of Senate Democrats is trying again to rein in President Donald Trump’s ability to order military action against Cuba. Sens. Tim Kaine, D-Va., Adam B. Schiff, D-Calif., and Ruben Gallego, D-Ariz., have introduced a war powers resolution that would direct Trump to “remove the United States Armed Forces from hostilities within or against Cuba, unless explicitly authorized by a declaration of war or a specific authorization for use of milita…
The United States on Thursday again threatened to take action against Cuba, signaling a push to change the Caribbean island's communist...
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 54% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium





















