Published 11 hours ago • loading... • Updated 1 hour ago
Dozens of Civilians Killed, Kidnapped as Jihadists Clash in Nigeria
Survivors said rival militant clashes let some victims escape as kidnappings remain a multimillion-dollar tactic in Nigeria's widening insurgency.
On Friday, hundreds of armed Lakurawa militants attacked Dikera village in the Borgu local government area of Niger state during prayers. Survivors like Jibril Ahmad reported the attackers used guns and machetes to slaughter residents and abduct others.
Amid the violence, the rival Mahmuda group clashed with Lakurawa fighters, according to federal representative Jafaru Mohammed. Mohammed told AFP that some Mahmuda members fought the attackers, though many residents were killed or kidnapped into the bushes.
The nearby village of Binzi was also hit during the raid, Ahmad and Mohammed told AFP. Police in Niger state confirmed they were aware of the kidnapping but had received no reports of deaths in the immediate aftermath.
Researchers have linked the shadowy Lakurawa group to the Islamic State Sahel Province, which operates in Mali, Burkina Faso, and Niger. This attack near the Benin border reflects increased militant activity as the regional conflict splinters.
Africa's most populous country battles a 17-year insurgency, with mass abductions remaining a key tactic since the 2014 Chibok kidnapping. Despite government claims of dismantling groups like Mahmuda last year, the military remains overstretched facing multiple overlapping conflicts.