Congo M23 rebels say they will withdraw from seized town to support peace push
- M23 rebels have announced a withdrawal from the seized town of Walikale to support peace efforts, despite previous claims of maintaining troops there.
- Congo's government expresses hope that M23's withdrawal translates into action, following the rebels' last-minute pullout from talks with the Congolese authorities due to EU sanctions.
- The U.N. Estimates that recent conflicts have resulted in 2,900 deaths and displaced over 500,000 people, with an influx of refugees into neighboring countries such as Burundi.
- The ongoing conflict has led to significant humanitarian issues, with concerns over forced conscription of young people by M23 and reports of human rights abuses.
63 Articles
63 Articles
M23 rebels say they withdraw forces to support peace push in DR Congo
In the Great Lakes region, hopes for a ceasefire in the strategic Congolese town of Walikale, seized by M23 rebels last week, briefly raised hopes of reviving stalled diplomatic efforts. Rwanda welcomed the move, reaffirming its commitment to a political solution. But the fragile truce appears to be unraveling, and mediation efforts are losing momentum … just as regional leaders prepare to meet to discuss the crisis.

Congo rebel leader says sanctions, any minerals deal with the US won’t stop fighting in the east
The leader of the rebels who captured two key cities in eastern Congo tells The Associated Press that international sanctions and Congo’s proposed minerals deal with the United States in search of peace will not stop the fighting.
M23 rebels say they will withdraw from seized DRC town Walikale to support peace push
Rwanda-backed M23 rebels staging an offensive in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo said on Saturday they would withdraw forces from the seized town of Walikale in support of peace efforts, having previously said they were leaving troops there as they pushed on to the capital.
Congo-Kinshasa: Rwanda Welcomes De-Escalation Efforts in Eastern DR Congo
Rwanda has welcomed AFC/M23 rebels' announcement regarding the repositioning of its forces from Walikale in support of ongoing peace initiatives, as well as DR Congo's declaration that all offensive operations by FARDC and Wazalendo groups will be halted.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 39% of the sources lean Right
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium
Ownership
To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage