Italian leaders visit Modena after car-ramming attack
Prosecutors are investigating the attack as attempted massacre and personal injury after eight people were injured, four seriously, officials said.
- Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni and President Sergio Mattarella travelled to Modena on Sunday, a day after a car-ramming incident injured eight people; Meloni cancelled a planned trip to Nicosia to visit the site.
- Salim El Koudri drove a car into pedestrians in the crowded city center on Saturday, injuring eight people, four seriously, before police arrested him as he reportedly attempted to stab a passerby.
- Modena prosecutors stated the suspect is under investigation for attempted massacre and personal injury, describing the attack as occurring "in an indiscriminate, random and deliberate manner." Two victims lost their legs.
- Deputy Prime Minister Matteo Salvini, who leads the League party, called on Sunday for the revocation of residence permits for those who commit crimes as authorities seek to establish El Koudri's motives.
- Vehicle attacks against crowds have become increasingly common worldwide, yet prosecutors have not confirmed reports regarding the suspect's mental health history or the nationalities of the injured, continuing their investigation.
57 Articles
57 Articles
Italian minister says Modena attack raises integration concerns amid migration debate
ROME (AP) — Italy’s interior minister said Monday that a car-ramming and stabbing attack in the northern city of Modena cannot be dismissed as an isolated act, warning it highlights
On Saturday afternoon, a man with psychiatric disorders broke into pedestrians in the city centre of Modena, injuring several people, some of whom were seriously injured.
On Saturday, 16 May, Salim El Koudri, 31, intentionally broke several pedestrians with his car in Modena before finishing his race in the window of a shop. The man then tried to escape, but was chased by four passers-by. Investigators are currently removing the terrorist track, believing that the author of the facts had a psychiatric history. For her part, the Italian Prime Minister, Giorgia Meloni, visited the eight wounded. (International).
Still bereaved, saddened, the inhabitants of Modena gathered on Sunday night in tribute to the eight people who had been broke the day before by a motorist with psychiatric disorders. ...
Itay’s Meloni heads to Modena after car-ramming attack
Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni and President Sergio Mattarella travelled to the northern city of Modena on Sunday, a day after eight people were injured in a car-ramming attack. Source link : https://news.sky.com/story/meloni-cancels-meetings-to-visit-modena-after-car-ramming-attack-13545099 Author : Publish date : 2026-05-17 14:15:00 Copyright for syndicated content belongs to the linked Source.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 36% of the sources lean Left
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium



























