Published 10 hours ago • loading... • Updated 7 hours ago
Death Sentence for Murder of Pakistani TikTok Star
The court said eyewitnesses, forensic evidence and a judicial confession proved the case, and ordered Rs2.5 million compensation for Yousaf’s family.
On Monday, accused Umar Hayat retracted his earlier confession in the murder of 17-year-old TikToker Sana Yousaf, pleading not guilty before an Islamabad court and describing the killing as a "blind murder."
Sana Yousaf, a digital creator with millions of followers, was shot twice inside her home in Sector G-13 on June 2, 2025, after she repeatedly rejected Hayat's romantic advances, authorities said.
Hayat alleged police tortured him into signing documents and claimed the identification parade was unfair, further contending he was falsely implicated in a "planted case" due to social media pressure.
Judge Muhammad Afzal Majoka adjourned the hearing and directed the prosecution to present formal evidence, summoning witnesses to proceed with the full trial.
This case has reignited debate over gender-based violence in Pakistan, drawing parallels to the 2021 murder of Noor Mukadam as advocacy groups demand stricter protection laws for women.
A 23-year-old man who broke into the home of 17-year-old Sana Yousaf last year and fatally shot her has been sentenced to death by a court in Islamabad. Shortly after the murder, he told investigators that she had repeatedly rejected his advances.