Supreme Court dismisses South Bruce Peninsula's appeal of beach ownership
The Supreme Court's decision ends a 35-year legal dispute over a 2.2 km shoreline, confirming Saugeen First Nation's ownership and enabling discussions on federal treaty compensation.
- On Aug. 28, 2025, the Supreme Court of Canada declined to hear the appeal, dismissing requests from the Town of South Bruce Peninsula and others, ending legal challenges over Sauble Beach.
- Longstanding treaty claims and a survey error from 170 years ago underpin the Saugeen First Nation's claim based on the 1854 treaty with the Crown, fueling decades of courts litigation.
- The Ontario Court of Appeal ruled in April 2023 that the Saugeen First Nation owns 2.2 kilometres of shoreline from Main Street to Sixth Street, including valuable fishing ground.
- Nearly two months after the temporary 'Welcome to Saugeen Beach' sign change, Conrad Ritchie, Saugeen First Nation Chief, said Federal Government compensation for breaches of the 1854 treaty can be discussed.
- Saugeen First Nation says 'Saugeen Beach' will remain open to the public and expects millions of visitors each summer at the popular Ontario beach.
22 Articles
22 Articles
‘Like a breath of fresh air’: Saugeen chief reacts to supreme court decision on ownership of disputed Sauble Beach shoreline
The Supreme Court of Canada will not hear arguments from the Town of South Bruce Peninsula in a land claim over a section of Sauble Beach shoreline.
Supreme Court dismisses South Bruce Peninsula's appeal of beach ownership
Canada's highest court has dismissed the Town of South Bruce Peninsula's appeal of a lower court ruling that found Saugeen First Nation was the rightful owner of the northern section of Sauble Beach.That ruling was upheld by the Ontario Court of Appeal last year.The Supreme Court of Canada's denial to hear the appeal essentially brings to an end a decades-long battle for the over two kilometre stretch of shoreline. Saugeen First Nation has owner…
Canada’s top court won’t hear appeal in land dispute at Ontario’s Sauble Beach
The Supreme Court of Canada has declined to hear an appeal of a lower-court ruling that upheld a First Nation's ownership of a stretch of land at a popular Ontario beach after a lengthy dispute.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 50% of the sources lean Left
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium