Aussie T20 hopes weren't derailed by Ashes, says coach
Coach Andrew McDonald attributes Australia's T20 World Cup group-stage exit to injuries, form slumps, and lack of depth, denying claims the Ashes were prioritized.
- On Thursday, Andrew McDonald rejected claims Australia de-prioritised the T20 World Cup, saying the team had been "fully locked into this World Cup" despite their group-stage exit in Sri Lanka leaving the squad "devastated."
- In explaining the defeat, McDonald pointed to injuries and workload crossover, noting challenges arose "on the back of injuries" from Test series and form slumps, with NSW central to depth issues.
- McDonald pointed to performance data, with Matt Renshaw scoring 102 runs but missing the must‑win game, and bowlers Nathan Ellis and Adam Zampa taking only four wickets each in three games.
- Pressure immediately fell on Greg Shipperd, NSW coach, after critics including Glenn McGrath and George Bailey criticised NSW's internal disputes and talent development, with some calling for change.
- Longer term, talent development matters because the IPL and other domestic T20 competitions already offer ample opportunities, while prospects Sam Konstas, Ollie Peake and Campbell Kellaway need time to develop.
21 Articles
21 Articles
T20 World Cup 2026: Australia coach laments disappointing performances, but defends planning
Australia head coach Andrew McDonald blamed the team’s humiliating T20 World Cup 2026 exit squarely on the players, rejecting criticism of their preparations and a “false narrative” that the nation is not taking the format seriously.
Australia coach defends World Cup planning, puts blame on players
Australia head coach Andrew McDonald put the blame for the team’s humiliating T20 World Cup exit squarely on the players, rejecting criticism of their preparations and a “false narrative” that the nation is not taking the format seriously. Australia crashed out of the group stage following losses to Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka, triggering acrimony on the home front. Former players and pundits have zeroed in on Australia’s preparations for the tournam…
Andrew McDonald defends players after T20 World Cup exit, says Australia were 'fully locked in'
Following defeats to Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka, Australia were knocked out of the race for the Super Eights in the ongoing T20 World Cup 2026. Senior cricketers Pat Cummins and Josh Hazlewood missed, owing to injuries, while captain Mitchell Marsh was unfit for half the tournament. Tim David too had injury concerns. Yet, Australia had enough firepower in the tank but they couldn’t perform when required. Following which, questions are raised whethe…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 64% of the sources lean Left
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium













