NATO’s top officer doesn’t expect more American drawdowns beyond the 5,000 troops Trump announced
Grynkewich said the Pentagon’s 5,000-troop cut is the only near-term U.S. reduction, while deployments to Poland and Germany were canceled.
- On Tuesday, Gen. Alex Grynkewich announced he expects no further US troop drawdowns from Europe beyond the 5,000 President Donald Trump ordered to leave early this month, following the surprise decision that blindsided NATO.
- President Donald Trump's decision followed friction with Germany, after Chancellor Friedrich Merz criticized US strategy in the Iran war and claimed the United States was being "Humiliated" by Iranian leadership.
- The Pentagon reduced brigade combat teams assigned to Europe from four to three, canceling deployments to Poland and Germany that halt 4,000 troops for Poland and around 1,000 personnel trained in long-range weapons.
- Estonia's Defense Minister Hanno Pevkur stated there is "not much information" about the changes, while Lithuania's Foreign Minister Budrys described linked deployment issues as a "technical issue" that will hopefully be resolved.
- Grynkewich warned allies to expect more drawdowns in coming years as Europe builds defense capabilities, insisting security will not be compromised and promising to "stay well-synchronized with our allies moving forward.
27 Articles
27 Articles
In addition to the 5,000 units it will withdraw from German territory and the 4,000 additional units it will not deploy in Poland, the US could announce a reduction in military capabilities. But for many there is one hope: Merz Read
Rutte avoids tearing: "It was predictable" . At the NATO summit expected the announcement of aid cuts even in the event of war ...
Trump’s NATO troop reduction isn’t Europe’s biggest problem
Before Donald Trump returned to the White House last year, there were many commentators who sought to sanitize the President. Take him seriously but not literally, they said. Some hinted that his cruder and wilder hyperbole was not the ignorant, boorish reflex it seemed but a shrewd and daring negotiating tactic in Trump’s beloved “art of the deal.” It has been reported that the United States is planning to announce a reduction in the number of …
Europe Admits It Still Can’t Defend Itself Alone
European leaders are attempting to downplay concerns after the United States announced plans to reduce its military presence on the continent, amid growing questions about Europe’s ability to defend itself without American support. The Pentagon announced late on Tuesday that it was pausing the deployment of any additional troops to Poland. Vice President JD Vance described this as part of America’s demand for “more of Europe standing on its own …
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 45% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium



















