Egypt on edge: finding a delicate balance between Gaza and Trump
- The US State Department stated that the Egyptian-led plan for Gaza did not meet President Trump's expectations.
- Steve Witkoff suggested that the Egyptian-led diplomacy is a positive step but does not fulfill Trump's requirements.
- The Arab League proposed a $53 billion reconstruction plan for Gaza, considered a better alternative to Trump's proposal of displacing Palestinians.
- Ongoing diplomatic efforts are signaled by upcoming meetings in Saudi Arabia.
15 Articles
15 Articles
Analysis: Cairo’s Gaza plan won’t fly without Trump
Faisal’s viewThe $53 billion reconstruction plan for Gaza, spearheaded by Egypt and endorsed by the Arab League last week, is a better alternative to US President Donald Trump’s proposal to displace Palestinians and rebuild the enclave into a beach resort, or Israel’s approach of blocking aid and hoping Gazans starve or leave. It is a fine plan — but it is far from being a slam dunk, at least when it comes to the main stakeholders: the US and Is…


Egypt on edge: finding a delicate balance between Gaza and Trump
US president Donald Trump famously called Egyptian president Abdel Fattah el-Sisi his “favourite dictator” in 2019, but their relationship has been complex. Trump’s return to the White House for a second term has sent ripples of concern through Cairo. In January 2025, Trump proposed a resolution to the ongoing Israel-Hamas war in Gaza: forcibly relocating Palestinians to Egypt and Jordan. Trump simultaneously threatened to withdraw US aid if the…
Arab plan for Gaza a ‘welcomed effort,’ but not nature of what Trump asking for, State Dept says
Bruce said that the Arab plan for Gaza, which was released this week after a summit in Cairo, ‘does not fulfill the requirements and nature of what President Trump was asking for, but it was a welcomed effort.’ By Mike Wagenheim, JNS Hamas cannot continue to exist in Gaza “with a gun, without a gun,” Tammy Bruce, the new U.S. State Department spokeswoman, told reporters on Thursday in her first press briefing. Until Hamas returns all the remaini…
US says Egypt-led Gaza plan 'doesn't meet Trump expectations'
The US State Department said Thursday that an Egyptian-led plan for Gaza did not meet the expectations of President Donald Trump, who has proposed occupying Gaza and expelling its Palestinian population. The proposed deal "does not fulfill the requirements, the nature, of what President Trump was asking for," State Department spokeswoman Tammy Bruce told reporters. "It does not meet the expectations," she said. She spoke shortly after Trump's po…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 71% of the sources lean Left
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium
Ownership
To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage