Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

Two Chinese tankers exit Hormuz as Trump, Vance talk up Iran deal prospects

The vessels carried about 4 million barrels of crude as shipping data showed traffic easing after more than two months of disruption.

  • Two Chinese supertankers carrying 4 million barrels of crude exited the Strait of Hormuz on Wednesday, May 20, after waiting in the Gulf for more than two months, signaling the regional energy blockade may be easing.
  • The U.S.-Israeli war against Iran, which began nearly three months ago, caused the worst-ever disruption to global energy supplies by paralyzing 100 tankers in the Persian Gulf.
  • President Donald Trump said on Tuesday the war would end 'very quickly,' while Vice President JD Vance told a White House press briefing, 'We're in a pretty good spot here.'
  • IRNA reported Tehran's latest peace proposal includes lifting sanctions and exit of U.S. forces, though Trump rejected a similar offer last week as 'garbage.'
  • Investors are gauging whether Washington and Tehran can reach a peace agreement, with Trump facing intense domestic pressure to reopen the Strait before November congressional elections.
Insights by Ground AI
Podcasts & Opinions

31 Articles

Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 47% of the sources lean Right
47% Right

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

The West Australian broke the news in Australia on Tuesday, May 19, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal