Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

Trump pauses 50% tariffs on goods from Canada, says two sides have a deal

Trump said the delay gives Canada and the United States time to finalize a deal as negotiators race to avoid duties on $20 billion in goods.

  • On Tuesday, President Donald Trump announced a 3-day pause on 50% tariffs against Canada, citing a tentative deal between the two nations subject to final documentation.
  • Originally scheduled for August 19, 2026, the deadline threatened to impose levies on US$20 billion worth of Canadian goods including cement and hockey sticks.
  • Prime Minister Mark Carney held intense negotiations with Trump on Monday to avoid tariff threats, an effort affecting 2.6 million Canadian livelihoods according to officials.
  • U.S. Chamber of Commerce senior vice-president for the Americas Neil Herrington warned that higher tariffs would damage both economies and threaten 13 million American jobs dependent on trade.
  • Automotive manufacturers face significant long-term losses if tariff disputes persist, as industry experts note current effective tariff rates for the sector are already at least 12.5 per cent.
Insights by Ground AI

130 Articles

Center

U.S. President Donald Trump has announced a three-day postponement to the imposition of 50% tariffs against Canada, whose entry into force was scheduled for this Thursday, following an agreement that would resume the construction of the Keystone XL pipeline, which would unite Nebraska (USA) and Alberta (Canada).Continue reading....

·Barcelona, Spain
Read Full Article
Center

US President Donald Trump announced that he had suspended, for a period of three days, the application of 50% tariffs on goods in Canada - measures that should have come into force on Wednesday -, stating that the two countries had reached a...

·Bucharest, Romania
Read Full Article
Lean Left

Shortly before the entry into force of new tariffs on a number of Canadian products, US President Donald Trump has put his plans on hold.

·Zürich, Switzerland
Read Full Article
Lean Left

The US President has suspended the threatened 50 percent tariffs on Canada at the last minute. As a condition, he insists on reviving a controversial pipeline project.

·Hamburg, Germany
Read Full Article
Lean Right

US President Donald Trump announced a three-day suspension of the 50% tariffs on Canadian goods that were scheduled to take effect Wednesday. This suspension allows more time for further negotiations. The tariffs Trump had planned would have affected approximately 5% of Canada's annual exports to the United States, while bilateral trade in goods and services reached roughly $880 billion last year.

Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 41% of the sources are Center
41% Center

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

Politico broke the news in Arlington County, United States on Tuesday, August 18, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal