Pentagon Seeking Ways to Spend Additional $500 Billion: Washington Post
Officials face challenges allocating a $500 billion military budget increase amid debates over existing weapons and new technology investments, delaying the fiscal 2027 proposal.
- Pentagon officials are scrambling to find ways to spend the additional $500 billion, the Washington Post reported, as aides face logistical challenges in obligating the funds.
- Last month, President Donald Trump approved a roughly 50% boost that Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth requested, despite opposition from the White House budget chief.
- Senior Pentagon officials consulted former senior defense officials while Mark Cancian, retired Marine Corps colonel, called the $500 billion boost a head-scratcher detached from the January defense strategy.
- The White House is more than two weeks behind its statutory deadline after President Donald Trump approved a $500 billion increase, and as of Saturday officials remain no closer to finalizing the military spending agenda.
- With analysts noting uncertainty about current spending, analysts and researchers said officials lack clarity on Pentagon spending and flagged debate on new U.S. military investment priorities.
8 Articles
8 Articles
'Head scratcher': Trump officials struggle to spend $500 billion more military asked for
A stunning report in the Washington Post on Saturday reveals aides for President Donald Trump are running into “logistical challenges” surrounding how the U.S. military can spend “a whopping $500 billion in their forthcoming budget.”According to four people who spoke with the Post, after Trump “agreed to a roughly 50 percent funding boost sought by” Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth, White House aides and defense officials struggled with "where …
Pentagon Seeking Ways to Spend Additional $500 Billion
Washington Post: "Trump administration officials have struggled to figure out how to increase U.S. military spending by a whopping $500 billion in their forthcoming budget, slowing the overall White House spending plan, four people familiar with the matter said.""President Donald Trump last mont
Trump admin misses key deadline after handicapping self with $500B ‘head-scratcher’
The White House is more than two weeks behind on finalizing its budget proposal after President Donald Trump approved a request to increase military spending by $500 billion, and before Pentagon officials had any idea how to spend the additional money, The Washington Post reported Saturday.Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth had requested of Trump a roughly 50% boost to military spending, a request Trump agreed to last month, and in spite of oppositi…
Trump administration aides struggling with how to spend $500 billion more on military
Trump administration officials have struggled to figure out how to increase U.S. military spending by a whopping $500 billion in their forthcoming budget, slowing the overall White House spending plan, four people familiar with the matter said.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 50% of the sources lean Left
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium






