Trump administration cancels $679 million for offshore wind projects
The administration redirected $679 million from 12 offshore wind projects to bolster American shipbuilding, citing national security and prioritizing traditional energy sectors.
- Earlier this week, the Trump administration halted work on the nearly 80% complete, $4 billion Revolution Wind project, and on Friday the U.S. Department of Transportation canceled $679 million in funding for 12 offshore wind projects.
- President Donald Trump signed an April 9 executive order to 'restore maritime dominance,' citing national security as the Interior Department and Bureau of Ocean Energy Management halted offshore wind projects and earlier this year placed a moratorium on new development.
- Among the withdrawals were funding for projects in 11 states, including roughly $427 million for the Humboldt Bay Offshore Wind project and about $33.8 million for the Salem Offshore Wind Terminal, with rescinded funds redirected to port upgrades and U.S. shipbuilding capacity, Transportation officials said.
- Massachusetts leaders warned canceling the Salem project will cost 800 unionized workers and industry groups said funding cuts threaten thousands of jobs in a $65 billion sector supporting 56,000 jobs by 2030.
- By one metric, wind and solar provided 93% of new electricity added in 2024, yet the Department of the Interior's July 30 action labeling these sources as 'unreliable' chills investors and slows the national climate and energy transition.
79 Articles
79 Articles
The Offshore Wind Industry Is Forever (Wind Jobs, Not So Much)
On August 29, US Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy announced that 12 portside projects in support of the US offshore wind industry will lose their federal funding. The post The Offshore Wind Industry Is Forever (Offshore Wind Jobs, Not So Much) appeared first on CleanTechnica.
Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy withdraws $679M in funding for ‘doomed’ offshore wind projects – including three in NY, NJ and CT
Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy announced Friday that $679 million in federal funding for 12 “doomed” offshore wind projects – including three in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut – has been withdrawn.
Trump Admin Ends $679 Million for 'Doomed' Offshore Wind Projects
The Trump administration has ended $679 million in funding for 12 "doomed" offshore wind projects that Department of Transportation (DOT) Secretary Sean Duffy deemed a "wasteful" use of agency dollars. The post Trump Admin Ends $679 Million for ‘Doomed’ Offshore Wind Projects appeared first on Breitbart.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 62% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium