Published 5 hours ago • loading... • Updated 4 hours ago
Taiwan says it has not been told by US of changes to military sales
Taipei says it has not received notice of any change, as Washington weighs a reported $14 billion arms package for Taiwan.
On Friday, Taiwan's Presidential Office spokesperson Karen Kuo said the government received no notice of U.S. arms sales changes, stating, "We have not received any relevant information about the U.S. adjusting sales."
During a Senate Appropriations Defense Subcommittee hearing Thursday, U.S. Acting Navy Secretary Hung Cao suggested a temporary pause in foreign arms sales, explaining the need to secure munitions for "Epic Fury" operations against Iran.
Taiwan awaits approval for an arms package potentially worth up to $14 billion, with final decisions resting with Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and Secretary of State Marco Rubio.
Following a summit with China's Jinping in Beijing last week, President Donald Trump remains undecided on whether to approve the package, while China continues calling for the U.S. to stop arms sales.
The U.S. is legally bound to provide Taiwan with the means to defend itself; despite Beijing's sovereignty claims, the Taiwanese government maintains that only the Taiwanese people can decide their future.