Suspect in US National Guard shooting facing first-degree murder charge
Rahmanullah Lakanwal, an Afghan national granted asylum, faces first-degree murder charges after ambushing two National Guard members; one died and the other remains critically injured.
- Nov. 28, U.S. Attorney Jeanine Pirro announced charges were upgraded to first-degree murder after Specialist Sarah Beckstrom, 20, died from wounds near the White House.
- Rahmanullah Lakanwal, a 29-year-old Afghan national, had entered the U.S. in 2021 through Operation Allies Welcome and recently settled in Bellingham, Washington, with his wife and five children before allegedly driving cross-country.
- Using a.357 Smith & Wesson revolver, prosecutors say the suspect launched an ambush-style attack and was shot moments after, initially facing possession of a firearm and assault with intent to kill counts.
- The FBI said it is investigating the shooting as terrorism and the administration ordered immigration reviews, suspending Afghan requests and reexamining green-card holders from 19 countries.
- The attack has reignited debates over vetting and asylum programs, and officials signaled possible additional charges and federal death penalty pursuit, Attorney General Pam Bondi said.
176 Articles
176 Articles
US halts asylum decisions as troop killing sparks migrant crackdown
The United States is freezing all asylum decisions, officials said Friday, as President Donald Trump hardens his anti-migrant stance after an Afghan national allegedly shot two National Guard members this week in Washington.
National Guard shooting suspect to face murder charge
A small memorial of flowers and an American flag outside the Farragut West Metro station in Washington, D.C., near where two members of the West Virginia National Guard were shot on Nov. 26. (Photo by Andrew Leyden/Getty Images)The United States Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia announced Friday it has charged the man who allegedly shot two National Guard members earlier this week with first-degree murder after one of the soldiers d…
US shooting suspect faces murder charge as anti-migrant stance hardens
WASHINGTON: An Afghan citizen accused of shooting two National Guard members will be charged with first-degree murder, a US official said Friday, after one of the soldiers died of her wounds as President Donald Trump pledged to suspend migration from “third world countries.”
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 43% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

































