Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

School portables arriving in preparation for classes to resume in Tumbler Ridge, B.C.

Fourteen temporary classrooms are being set up to support about 160 students, with trauma counseling provided after the mass shooting that killed eight people.

  • On Monday, the first temporary unit arrived at Tumbler Ridge Elementary School grounds as site control shifted after RCMP completed its examination.
  • Last week, a mass shooting killed five students aged 12 to 13 and a 39-year-old education assistant, prompting Premier David Eby to pledge no students would be forced to return.
  • Tumbler Ridge Secondary School enrolls around 160 students, and the B.C. government says counsellors and trauma-support staff will support students and staff during the move and after classes resume.
  • Officials have not yet decided the future of the secondary-school site; the province says units will stay 'until community input, expert advice and future plans can be confirmed.'
  • The province expects several days to set up the temporary classrooms at Tumbler Ridge Elementary School, with weather and other factors affecting the timeline, while counselling resources remain available.
Insights by Ground AI

34 Articles

Lean Left

The co-founder of a group that supports victims and their families after mass killings argues that the top priority when students return to school in Tumbler Ridge, B.C., is to give them a sense of safety.

·Montreal, Canada
Read Full Article
Sask TodaySask Today
+15 Reposted by 15 other sources
Lean Left

Portable classrooms for Tumbler Ridge, B.C., as shooting victim is remembered

The British Columbia government says portable facilities are arriving in Tumbler Ridge, B.C., to allow children to return to school after six people were killed at the community's high school last week. The B.C.

Read Full Article
Lean Left

The announcement comes 6 days after a shooting that killed 8 people, including 5 students and an educator.

·Montreal, Canada
Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 88% of the sources lean Left
88% Left

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

Province of BC broke the news in on Monday, February 16, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal