Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

Pentagon's internal watchdog to probe US attacks on boats in the Caribbean, Bloomberg News reports

The review will examine intelligence, targeting decisions and military doctrine after 59 vessels were destroyed and 193 people were killed, the Pentagon said.

  • On Monday, the Pentagon's independent inspector general launched an investigation into U.S. Southern Command's Operation Southern Spear, an effort targeting alleged drug-smuggling vessels that has killed at least 192 people.
  • President Donald Trump's administration initiated the campaign against alleged "narco-terrorists" in Latin America last year, conducting nearly 60 attacks in the Caribbean Sea and Pacific Ocean.
  • The probe will evaluate whether the military adhered to the six-phase Joint Targeting Cycle during the strikes, with officials stating "we may identify additional locations during the evaluation" at the Pentagon and Southcom headquarters in Florida.
  • Senator Tim Kaine, a Virginia Democrat, questioned Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth regarding the classified legal opinion, citing a "profound mismatch" between observed strikes and the military's underlying legal assumptions.
  • Lawmakers and rights groups continue to question the operation's legality, arguing the administration has provided little evidence that victims were criminals and suggesting the attacks could amount to extrajudicial killings.
Insights by Ground AI

26 Articles

CNNCNN
+8 Reposted by 8 other sources
Lean Left

Pentagon watchdog evaluating US operations involving strikes on alleged drug boats

The Defense Department’s internal watchdog has said it is evaluating US Southern Command’s operations that have included strikes on alleged drug-trafficking boats in the Caribbean Sea and Pacific Ocean.

·Atlanta, United States
Read Full Article
Lean Right

The Pentagon's internal monitoring and control body has announced an investigation into the U.S. Armed Forces' attacks on boats allegedly linked to drug trafficking in the Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean — operations that have already killed 194 people, according to official data, and are part of the "narcoterrorism" policy launched by U.S. President Donald Trump. The body will assess whether the offensive followed the targeting guidelines in th…

·Brazil
Read Full Article
Left

U.S. Army operations killed at least 192 people, according to U.S. press

·São Paulo, Brazil
Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 46% of the sources are Center
46% Center

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

Reuters broke the news in United Kingdom on Monday, May 18, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal