Maradona trial on hold over possible medical evidence mix-up
Defense lawyers say kidney tests shown in court may have belonged to Maradona’s father, raising doubts about expert evidence in the negligence case.
- On Thursday, an Argentine court suspended the death trial of football legend Diego Maradona after defense lawyers alleged that kidney test results presented in evidence belonged to the player's father, Diego Salustiano Maradona, rather than the former athlete.
- Seven healthcare workers face charges of criminal negligence regarding the care Maradona received before his death in November 2020, while he was recuperating from brain surgery.
- Defense lawyer Agustin Varela noted some tests dated back to 2015, arguing they could not be Maradona's as he lived in Dubai then. A nephrologist testified Tuesday that Maradona suffered from chronic kidney disease.
- Presiding judge Alberto Gaig adjourned proceedings until August 27 to determine if tests "correspond to Diego Armando Maradona or someone else." Prosecutor Patricio Ferrari dismissed concerns, stating, "They will not succeed in bringing down the trial."
- The trial's stability remains under scrutiny after the first proceedings were annulled last year following revelations a judge participated in a clandestine documentary. This suspension underscores the fragility of the ongoing legal battle.
54 Articles
54 Articles
The medical examinations belong to the father of Diego Armando Maradona, Don Diego, who died in 2015, and not to the Argentine champion who died in 2020. This is the new element that has diverted, once again, the trial on the death of the sample. The defense has in fact contested the attribution of some results related to kidney function presented during [...] The article "Clinical examinations were of the father": shock to the process for the d…
The new trial into the death of Argentine football legend Diego Armando Maradona in Buenos Aires was adjourned by judges on Thursday for a week after information emerged that the kidney test results presented to the court were in fact those of his father, the French news agency AFP reported.
It has just been learned that the medical board's investigation handled reports of Diego Maradona Sr, who died five years earlier, for his opinion: the court must find out if he was misdelivered or it was a manipulation.
The prosecutor in the Maradona case says a crime occurred and the trial will not collapse
Deputy chief prosecutor for San Isidro Patricio Ferrari said on Thursday that the delivery of medical records belonging to Diego Armando Maradona's father, rather than the footballer's own, may constitute a criminal offence, and ruled out that the discovery will halt the trial over the star's death in November 2020.
They mistakenly mixed the medical histories of the Argentine star with those of their father.
The reconnaissance around Diego Maradona's death is again stalled. A trail leads to laboratory values, which are apparently not attributed to the football idol.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 42% of the sources lean Left
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium





























