Published 2 hours ago • loading... • Updated 23 hours ago
Jury acquits 2 business executives of bribing Navy admiral for government contract
The jury found no conspiracy or bribery in the retrial after an earlier mistrial, ending the case against the Next Jump co-CEOs.
On Monday, a Washington jury acquitted Next Jump CEOs Yongchul Charlie Kim and Meghan Messenger of all conspiracy and bribery charges, concluding a high-profile retrial.
Prosecutors claimed Kim and Messenger offered Adm. Robert Burke a $500,000 salary with stock options to secure a military contract; Burke joined the company in 2022 after commanding Navy forces in Europe and Africa.
An earlier trial last year ended in a mistrial with a hung jury. The Navy terminated the "poorly received" pilot program after approximately one year, prosecutors said.
William Burck, one of Kim's attorneys, said "Justice prevailed. In the end, the jury didn't believe that Charlie Kim and Meghan Messenger bribed anyone." Defense attorney Reed Brodsky called the result "a testament to the power of truth and the integrity of the American justice system."
Burke is serving a six-year prison sentence at a federal prison in West Virginia for his own conviction on corruption charges and is scheduled for release in November 2029.