Published 1 month ago • loading... • Updated 1 month ago
Hamas Armed Wing Rejects Disarmament
Hamas says talks over its weapons cannot begin until Israel fully carries out the ceasefire’s first phase, as Gaza peace negotiations stall.
On Sunday, Hamas armed wing spokesperson Abu Obeida rejected calls for disarmament, stating that discussing weapons "in a crude manner" before Israel implements the first phase of the United States-brokered ceasefire is unacceptable.
President Donald Trump's peace plan for Gaza faces a major obstacle regarding Hamas's weapons, which are central to cementing the ceasefire that halted two years of full-scale fighting last October.
According to three sources who spoke last week, Hamas has told mediators it will not discuss relinquishing its weapons without guarantees that Israel will completely withdraw from Gaza.
Urging mediators to pressure Israel, Abu Obeida demanded fulfillment of first-phase commitments before discussing subsequent steps, labeling disarmament calls "nothing but an overt attempt to continue the genocide against our people."
While it remains unclear if this constitutes a formal rejection of the US-backed initiative, the Hamas-Israel war continues to impact the territory, where more than 72,000 Palestinians have been killed since October 2023.