Germany’s Merz open to social media ban for minors
Germany's SPD proposes banning social media under 14, limiting algorithmic features for 14-16, and requiring digital wallet age verification from 2027, amid rising youth addiction rates.
- On Wednesday, German Chancellor Friedrich Merz said he is open to a social media ban for minors, considering age limits and mandatory verification, on the Machtwechsel podcast.
- Concerned about childhood development, Merz said teenagers spending five hours or more of screen time daily can face social and personality problems and children need time to play and concentrate at school.
- A CDU Schleswig-Holstein proposal would set the minimum age at 16 with mandatory verification, while the Social Democrats propose a full ban for under 14, criticised by Ruben Rupp, AfD lawmaker.
- Last month, French lawmakers sent a bill to the Senate to ban social media for under‑15s, while Ashwini Vaishnaw said Tuesday India is discussing age‑based measures with firms.
- Deborah Schnabel of the Anne Frank Educational Centre said, `Simply banning platforms without empowering young people to critically evaluate content merely shifts the problem-- it does not solve it`. Merz compared early electronic media exposure to giving alcohol to elementary pupils, urging caution.
41 Articles
41 Articles
German Chancellor Friedrich Merz said on Wednesday he was open to banning social media for minors, after Australia and other countries took steps to protect teenagers from the threats posed by popular platforms.
At the CDU Party Day, a number of exciting topics will be coordinated: Is it possible to write sick people on the collar by telephone and reach an age limit for TikTok?
German Chancellor Friedrich Merz spoke on Wednesday in favour of restricting or even banning the access of minors to social networks, in the wake of other countries that want to protect young people from the harmful effects of these platforms for mental health. ...
Klingbeil calls SPD to stand ready for reforms +++ Söder rejects considerations about higher VAT +++ Söder grants higher fuel prices Cancel +++ The newsblog.
The debate about social media bans for kids is in full swing. First of all, the chancellor intervenes. But can a ban be enough alone?
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 36% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

















