China opposes US murder charges against Cuban former president
China and Russia urged Washington to drop coercive pressure on Cuba after the U.S. Justice Department charged Raúl Castro and five others in the 1996 shootdown case.
- On Wednesday, the United States Justice Department indicted former Cuban President Raul Castro for his alleged role in a 1996 plane shootdown. Beijing and Moscow immediately condemned the move, voicing solidarity with Havana amid Washington's pressure campaign.
- Prosecutors charged Castro alongside five others for the 1996 downing of two civilian aircraft operated by Brothers to the Rescue, which killed four people. The incident remains a long-standing source of contention between the two nations.
- Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Guo Jiakun told reporters Thursday that the U.S. should "stop threatening force at every turn." Guo added that Beijing "firmly supports Cuba" in safeguarding national sovereignty.
- Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova echoed this condemnation, criticizing the charges as "gross interference in the internal affairs of a sovereign state." Moscow pledged to "continue to provide the most active support" to the Cuban people.
- President Donald Trump hailed the indictment Wednesday as a "very big moment" while maintaining his policy of economic pressure. Cuba faces deepening crisis driven by an oil blockade and recent sanctions on its energy sector.
40 Articles
40 Articles
China and Russia gave their support to Cuba following the U.S. accusation against Raúl Castro for murder in a major escalation in Washington's campaign against Havana, where the Castros have been in charge since his late brother, Fidel Castro, led the revolution, in 1959.Beijing expressed his support for Havana on Thursday and stated that the U.S. should “stop using judicial repression” against the Latin American nation.
China warns US to stop ‘threatening’ Cuba after Raul Castro indicted
The Chinese government has warned the USA that it should stop ‘threatening’ Cuba after its former leader Raul Castro was indicted on murder charges. The 94-year-old has been accused by a US court of authorising the murder of four Americans on two civilian aeroplanes in 1996. The US had already imposed an energy blockade and recently broadened sanctions against senior Cuban officials.
Russia said on Thursday that the US decision to indict former Cuban leader Raul Castro was unacceptable and teetered on the brink of violence.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 48% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium




















