Published 3 hours ago • loading... • Updated 3 hours ago
Carney asks premiers to put U.S. alcohol back on shelves amid trade deal talks: N.S. premier
Carney said the move could help clear a trade irritant as provinces weigh procurement rules that exclude U.S. suppliers, officials said.
On Tuesday, President Donald Trump announced a three-day pause on 50 per cent tariffs, prompting Prime Minister Mark Carney to request that provinces restock American alcohol on store shelves amid ongoing trade negotiations.
Most provinces banned American alcohol in early 2025 as a retaliatory measure, which the Trump administration cited as a primary justification for the proposed tariff plan alongside dairy management and auto quotas.
The Liquor Control Board of Ontario previously purchased $965 million in American alcohol annually, yet a Nanos poll reveals 69 per cent of Canadians would continue to boycott American products despite the pending deal.
Nova Scotia Premier Tim Houston confirmed the request, but Premier Simpson remains skeptical, conditioning support on obtaining relief from existing United States tariffs on industrial products ranging from 10 to 50 per cent.
Unless officials reach a final agreement, 50 per cent tariffs on over 500 Canadian items are set to take effect following the three-day pause, threatening costs for goods ranging from dairy to hockey equipment.