Britain, France and Germany launch 30-day process to reimpose UN sanctions on Iran, letter says
- On Thursday, the UK, France, and Germany initiated a 30-day countdown to reinstate United Nations penalties related to Iran’s nuclear activities.
- This step follows Iran's refusal to cooperate with IAEA inspections after US and Israeli strikes on its nuclear sites in June and stalled diplomacy since then.
- Iran’s deputy foreign minister Kazem Gharibabadi warned that advancing snapback sanctions would likely end Iran’s cooperation with the IAEA and disrupt ongoing monitoring.
- Iran’s rial traded over 1 million to one US dollar on Thursday, reflecting investor concerns about renewed sanctions and economic strain since the 2015 nuclear deal.
- The snapback move risks further isolating Iran, damaging its economy, and escalating regional tensions while diplomacy may intensify before the mechanism expires on October 18.
94 Articles
94 Articles
In order to compel the Islamic Republic to fulfil its commitments, France, Great Britain and Germany decided to launch the "snapback", with the will to further isolate the Iranian regime. In Tehran, parties and personalities dared to call for an end to uranium enrichment.
France, the United Kingdom and Germany announced on Thursday reactivate the mechanism that provides for the reactivation of sanctions suspended against Tehran since 2015.
Europe Triggers Snapback Mechanism as Iran Nuclear Deal Nears Collapse
Britain, France, and Germany have triggered the so-called snapback mechanism of the 2015 Iran nuclear deal to reinstate UN sanctions against Tehran. The European trio, known as the E3, wrote to the UN Security Council on August 28 to initiate the process, which takes 30 days. In a statement, the E3 foreign ministers said, "We will use the 30-day period to continue engaging with Iran regarding our extension offer or any meaningful diplomatic effo…
The sanctions plans of Germany, France and Great Britain cause indignation in Iran. Russia and China also express themselves.
The Foreign Minister writes to Kallas and the UN: the decision of the E3 to start the process for new sanctions is unjustified
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 37% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium