Bodies of 2 Italian divers are recovered from deep in a Maldives underwater cave
A Finnish team used advanced cave-diving gear to recover the bodies as authorities said decompression sickness may have caused the deaths.
- On Tuesday, three Finnish diving experts recovered two of the four Italian bodies found deep inside a cave in the Maldives, as confirmed by presidential spokesperson Mohamed Hussain Shareef.
- Five Italian divers went missing on Thursday while exploring a cave at about 50 meters in Vaavu Atoll, with one body discovered outside the cave shortly after the incident.
- Alert Network Europe deployed technical divers to reach the bodies located around 60 meters deep, which exceeds the 30 meters legal recreational diving limit.
- Maldives government spokesperson Ahmed Shaam announced that the remaining two bodies will be recovered on Wednesday, stating they were found 'pretty much together' in the cave's largest segment.
- The team used specialized equipment to allow for 'significantly longer dives,' according to Alert Network Europe, as divers navigated 'deep overhead environments, confined spaces and high-risk scenarios' during the operation.
84 Articles
84 Articles
Finns, known as elite divers, have unique skills.
Bodies of 2 Italian divers are recovered from deep in a Maldives underwater cave
MALE, Maldives — Divers on Tuesday recovered the bodies of two of the four remaining Italians who died deep inside an underwater cave in an atoll in the Maldives last week, a spokesperson for the Indian Ocean nation said, while describing “very challenging” conditions like poor visibility and strong currents.The bodies were located on Monday as searches resumed after a suspension following the death of a local military diver during a perilous re…
Today begins the recovery of two of the four bodies of the dead divers in the Maldives. The operation of the Finnish divers and the coastguard
An international specialized diving team managed to extract two other bodies in an underwater cave in Maldives this Tuesday, raising to three the recovered bodies of the five Italian tourists who died last Thursday, in a complex rescue operation at 60 meters depth that develops in different phases.
The Maldives government confirmed on Monday the discovery of the bodies of the five Italian tourists who disappeared at the end of last week, during an immersion in the Indian Ocean.Although they located the bodies, the operation to extract them will extend for 48 hours, due to the complexity of the rescue tasks.The authorities confirmed that they will rescue two bodies on Tuesday, while the other two on Wednesday.Everything happened after the v…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 44% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium
























