Skip to main content

We've updated our Privacy Policy. Questions? Email us any time at privacy@ground.news

Published loading...Updated

After killing hundreds in boat strikes, US military expands campaign on land in Latin America

The plan would expand a campaign that has killed more than 200 people in over 60 boat strikes, officials and analysts said.

  • Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth announced last week during a Panama visit that the U.S. is extending its military campaign from maritime strikes to joint land operations in Colombia, Guatemala, and Honduras.
  • The administration's move follows a year of maritime operations that killed more than 200 people in over 60 boat strikes; Ecuador already conducts joint raids despite voters rejecting foreign military bases in a November 2025 referendum.
  • Guatemala has denied reaching an agreement for joint operations, while Hegseth compared traffickers to Islamic extremist groups, vowing to target them "like you saw with the strikes on the drug boats."
  • Critics, including Latin America expert Michael Shifter, warn the widening campaign risks civilian casualties and backlash; Shifter argues the strategy projects military superiority rather than fostering genuine cooperation.
  • The Trump administration seeks to assert what it calls "American dominance over the Western Hemisphere," designating 20 Latin American criminal groups as "foreign terrorist organizations" to pressure regional alignment.
Insights by Ground AI

65 Articles

Lean Right

The US wants to expand its fight against drug gangs in Latin America. After attacks on boats there are now land-based missions in space.

·Berlin, Germany
Read Full Article
The HinduThe Hindu
+12 Reposted by 12 other sources
Lean Left

After killing hundreds in boat strikes, U.S. military expands campaign on land in Latin America

The Trump administration says it is seeking to extend that lethal campaign to land, pursuing deals that would put U.S. forces on the ground in allied nations across the region

·Chennai, India
Read Full Article
Associated Press NewsAssociated Press News
+47 Reposted by 47 other sources
Lean Left

After killing hundreds in boat strikes, US military expands campaign on land in Latin America

Hundreds of people have been killed in the year since the U.S. military began bombing boats it accused of ferrying drugs off Latin America’s Caribbean and Pacific coasts. Now, the Trump administration says it is seeking to extend that lethal campaign to land, pursuing deals that would put U.S. forces on the ground in allied nations across the region.

·New York, United States
Read Full Article

Hundreds of people have died in the past year since the U.S. military began bombing boats that it accused of transporting drugs off the Caribbean and Pacific coasts of Latin America. Now, the Trump administration claims it seeks to extend that lethal campaign to land, by pushing forward agreements that would put U.S. soldiers on the ground in allied countries across the region.

Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 59% of the sources are Center
59% Center

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

NBC LA broke the news in Los Angeles, United States on Monday, August 17, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal