Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

Ceuta Begins Burials for Migrants Who Died Attempting to Cross Into the Spanish Territory

Authorities buried 18 unidentified men in numbered graves as Morocco and Spain disputed repatriation of the bodies, officials and an NGO said.

  • At a Muslim cemetery in Ceuta, 18 migrants were laid to rest on Friday, among more than 90 who died during Spain's deadliest border crisis three weeks ago.
  • Fueled by misinformation and poverty, more than 72,000 people poured into Ceuta, a Spanish territory neighboring Morocco, with many drowning or killed in a stampede near a border checkpoint.
  • A spokesperson for Ceuta's city government said last week Morocco had not accepted repatriation paperwork, so authorities marked graves with numbered stones for potential future family identification.
  • The Moroccan Association for Human Rights called the burials a "new human tragedy," adding to the "disaster of displacement and missing persons," and demanded the process be halted.
  • Under Islamic custom, bodies were placed facing Mecca while funeral workers read prayers praising God; more migrants are expected to be buried soon as Morocco did not respond to repatriation inquiries.
Insights by Ground AI

15 Articles

Associated Press NewsAssociated Press News
+12 Reposted by 12 other sources
Lean Left

Ceuta begins burials for migrants who died attempting to cross into the Spanish territory

Eighteen migrants have been laid to rest in Ceuta’s Muslim cemetery following Spain’s deadliest border crisis three weeks ago.

·New York, United States
Read Full Article
Lean Left

On Friday, Sidi Embarek’s camp was home to the first funerals of migrants who died in transit from Morocco on July 30The last morning of the Trampoline camp: “I don’t know what’s going to happen, but anything but return to Morocco” In the Muslim cemetery of Ceuta, located on the steep hillside of the slum of Sidi Embarek, a large number of tombs are named after them. And although some are local, many of them, hundreds, thousands even, are occupi…

·Madrid, Spain
Read Full Article

The first 18 migrants who died during the mass assault on the border were buried in Ceuta. The funeral took place in a Muslim cemetery.

·Warsaw, Poland
Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 50% of the sources lean Left, 50% of the sources are Center
50% Center

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

Winnipeg Free Press broke the news in Winnipeg, Canada on Friday, August 21, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal