Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

White House resisted letting doctor with Ebola return to U.S.: Washington Post

The White House allegedly resisted his return, delaying evacuation as the Ebola outbreak grew to 528 suspected cases and 132 deaths, the World Health Organization said.

  • On Wednesday, Dr. Peter Stafford arrived at Berlin's Charité University Hospital after contracting the Bundibugyo virus while working in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
  • The Washington Post reported the Trump administration resisted bringing Stafford home, though White House Spokesperson Kush Desai called the report "absolutely false," citing Germany's 12-hour proximity to the DRC.
  • Officials from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advocated for a U.S. biocontainment unit, but the facility had 20 beds with 18 already occupied by other patients.
  • Stafford tested positive for the Bundibugyo virus, which carries a fatality rate between 30 and 50 percent, according to the World Health Organization .
  • As of Wednesday, the outbreak in the DRC and Uganda has resulted in 528 suspected cases and 132 deaths, according to the latest WHO figures.
Insights by Ground AI
Podcasts & Opinions

83 Articles

Center

The White House has rejected a media report that it has refused the entry into the United States of America of a U.S. citizen suffering from Ebola.

·Germany
Read Full Article
Lean Left

The United States initially refused to allow an American doctor infected with Ebola to return home, according to a report in the Washington Post. The newspaper cited five sources familiar with the matter. As a result, the doctor's evacuation was delayed before he was finally airlifted to Germany. However, the White House dismissed the account, calling it "absolutely false." Dr. Peter Stafford, a missionary doctor, had been working in Bunia in ea…

Read Full Article
Lean Right

The "Washington Post" reported that the infected person was not allowed to return to the USA. The doctor and his family are isolated in the Charité in Berlin.

·Vienna, Austria
Read Full Article
Lean Right

The American who suffers from the Ebola virus is taken to the Charité because of the shorter route, it is said. According to one report, however, the reason could be another. Washington could simply have refused entry. The US government does not want to know about this.

Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 50% of the sources are Center
50% Center

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

Bild broke the news in Berlin, Germany on Tuesday, May 19, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal