Published • loading... • Updated
US Military Carried Out Second Strike Killing Survivors on a Suspected Drug Boat that Had Already Been Attacked, Sources Say
The Pentagon's campaign killed at least 83 suspected smugglers using drones and manned aircraft in the Caribbean and eastern Pacific since early September, signaling a shift from interdiction to lethal strikes.
- Earlier this month, the Pentagon released short, grainy video clips showing people on boats moments before strikes and visual casualties, while The New York Times found a shift to lethal strikes using drones and manned aircraft.
- Before this campaign, interdiction was led by law enforcement and the U.S. Coast Guard using stop‑and‑board inspections and seizures; the administration says the strikes target vessels linked to roughly two dozen drug cartels.
- A Nov. 9 clip shows a missile hitting a vessel from the rear, with analysts identifying laser‑guided missiles and 250‑pound guided glide bombs delivered by drones, gunships, helicopters and manned aircraft.
- Lawmakers and legal experts have questioned the strikes' legality and requested the White House's justification, while the Pentagon has struck at least 22 more boats, killing 71 alleged smugglers, and Adm. Alvin Holsey, commander of US Southern Command, raised legal concerns and will leave in December.
- Sources described double‑tap follow‑on strikes that killed survivors, a practice critics say could violate the law of armed conflict; President Gustavo Petro of Colombia said a strike killed an innocent fisherman, underscoring potential diplomatic consequences.
Insights by Ground AI
Podcasts & Opinions
48 Articles
48 Articles
Coverage Details
Total News Sources48
Leaning Left6Leaning Right1Center28Last UpdatedBias Distribution80% Center
Bias Distribution
- 80% of the sources are Center
80% Center
L 17%
C 80%
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium















