Werder Bremen cancel U.S. trip amid concerns over ICE actions in Minnesota
Werder Bremen cited unrest after U.S. immigration enforcement actions and stricter entry rules affecting players as reasons for canceling its summer tour, the club said.
- On Friday, German football club Werder Bremen cancelled a planned trip to the United States, telling Reuters the decision came amid safety and economic concerns for May friendlies in Minnesota and Detroit.
- Citing recent ICE actions, Werder Bremen spokespeople said unrest in Minnesota last month and the shooting of two U.S. citizens prompted the decision to cancel the U.S. tour.
- Werder Bremen officials said sporting, economic and political reasons, plus the challenging sporting situation, made medium-term planning difficult and influenced cancelling the Minnesota trip.
- Unclear entry rules mean it is not clear which players will be able to enter the US due to the implementation of stricter requirements, which include reviewing social media profiles from the last five years, Filbry said.
- Although the regulation is not yet in force, Werder Bremen said it would not take risks in cancelling the U.S. tour, and some accounts framed this as opposition to Trump administration immigration policy, Reuters reported.
31 Articles
31 Articles
While the club planned a summer tour in the United States as part of its preparation, the Bremen Werder finally gave up. The team's spokesperson advanced "political reasons", particularly around Donald Trump's ICE and anti-migrant policy.
German Soccer Team Refuses to Tour in U.S. Because of ICE Shootings: 'Does Not Fit Our with Values'
American citizens Renee Nicole Good and Alex Pretti were shot and killed by federal agents in Minneapolis in January Werder Bremen players, January 2026 Philipp von Ditfurth/picture alliance via GettyNEED TO KNOWA German soccer team pulls out of a trip to the U.S. following the fatal shootings of two American citizens by federal agentsA spokesperson for Werder Bremen said the civil injustices did not align with their valuesRenee Nicole Good and …
German soccer titans cancel US visit over Trump's ICE crackdown: 'People have been shot'
German soccer powerhouse Werder Bremen is pulling the plug on its summer trip to Minnesota, citing violence and chaos stemming from the Trump administration's aggressive immigration crackdown.“Playing in a city where there’s unrest and people have been shot, that does not fit with our values here at Werder Bremen,” Christoph Pieper, the club’s head of communications, told Politico in a Friday statement. “Furthermore, it was unclear for us which …
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 48% of the sources lean Left
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium























