Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

US Announces $6M in Aid for Cuba as Island's Leader Accuses It of Imposing an 'Energy Blockade'

The U.S. has provided $9 million in aid since Hurricane Melissa with supplies delivered to Cuba's eastern region despite Cuba's claims of a U.S.-imposed energy blockade causing shortages.

  • Washington unveiled additional humanitarian assistance to Cuba on Feb 5, with Jeremy Lewin saying the new $9 million aid raises total U.S. assistance since Hurricane Melissa to $9 million.
  • Describing U.S. threats as an energy blockade, Díaz-Canel said Cuba faces psychological war and has not received oil since the U.S. naval blockade on Venezuela in December.
  • The supplies include rice, beans, pasta, canned tuna and solar lamps to be delivered by the Catholic Church and Caritas, while U.S. embassy officials will monitor distribution to prevent diversion.
  • Blackouts are disrupting hospitals, transport and power generation, and the aid targets eastern provinces of Cuba hit by Hurricane Melissa; Miguel Díaz-Canel said temporary measures will start next week.
  • U.S. officials argue the crisis reflects Cuban mismanagement, citing sanctions costing over $9 million since March 2024, and say more aid could follow if Cuba permits broader U.S. support.
Insights by Ground AI

97 Articles

KVIAKVIA
+5 Reposted by 5 other sources
Center

By Rocío Muñoz-Ledo, CNN en Español. Cuba's Deputy Foreign Minister, Carlos Fernández de Cossío, called the U.S. government's announcement of humanitarian aid to the island "hypocritical." Cuba is facing electricity shortages amid Washington's pressure on oil shipments. "Quite hypocritical to apply draconian coercive measures that deny basic economic conditions to millions and then announce soup and canned food for a few," Fernández de Cossío wr…

·Panama City, United States
Read Full Article
Lean Left

U.S. will send $6 million in humanitarian aid to Cuba, responsible to the Cuban government for the lack of food for the population

·Los Angeles, United States
Read Full Article
KESQKESQ
+2 Reposted by 2 other sources
Center

By Jennifer Hansler, CNN - The U.S. State Department announced $6 million in humanitarian aid for Cuba as the Trump administration seeks to cut off oil supplies to the island. The aid will be distributed through Caritas, a network of Catholic charities, and the Catholic Church, Jeremy Lewin, the senior State Department official in charge of foreign assistance, said Thursday. Lewin told reporters there had been no direct engagement with the Cuban…

Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 71% of the sources are Center
71% Center

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

Newsmax broke the news in Boca Raton, United States on Thursday, February 5, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal