Pueblo resident contracts measles, marking first case in Colorado since 2023
- A Pueblo resident, who was not vaccinated and recently traveled to Mexico where a measles outbreak is ongoing, has contracted measles, marking Colorado's first confirmed case since 2023, and was announced by public health officials on Monday.
- The infection likely stemmed from the resident's travel to an area in Mexico with an ongoing measles outbreak, which the World Health Organization has linked to the outbreak in Texas.
- The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment released a news release alerting the public to potential exposure at the Southwest Deli and Cafe in south Pueblo between March 17 and 21 and at the Southern Colorado Clinic in Pueblo West from 3:30 to 6 p.m. On March 22.
- State epidemiologist Dr. Rachel Herlihy stated, "Measles is both extremely contagious and highly preventable with a vaccine," and "The MMR vaccine provides excellent protection and helps prevent outbreaks like the one we are seeing globally."
- Health officials urge Coloradans to review their vaccination status and monitor for symptoms such as fever, cough, runny nose, red eyes, and a rash for 21 days, and to contact their healthcare provider if symptoms develop, as measles is highly contagious and outbreaks are occurring in multiple states and globally.
22 Articles
22 Articles


One measles case in Pueblo confirmed by Colorado health department
The sign outside the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment on Oct. 5, 2020. (Chase Woodruff/Colorado Newsline)State health officials announced late Monday that they had confirmed a case of measles in a Pueblo resident. It’s Colorado’s first confirmed measles case since 2023 and just its third case in the last nine years. It comes amid an alarming rise in measles outbreaks nationwide, including several clusters in west Texas that h…

Colorado reports measles case in Pueblo, not tied to ongoing Texas outbreak
Colorado reported its first case of measles in a state resident in two years on Monday, but the infection is not tied to the ongoing outbreak that started in Texas. The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment said the new infection is in an adult from Pueblo who had recently traveled to an area in Mexico with a measles outbreak. The state said the person is unvaccinated. CDPHE said people who had been at two specific locations in Pu…

First Colorado measles case since 2023 confirmed in Pueblo
A Pueblo resident who recently traveled to Mexico is now infected with Colorado’s first confirmed case of measles since 2023, public health officials announced Monday. The person, who has not been publicly identified, recently visited an area in Mexico with an ongoing measles outbreak and was not vaccinated, the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment said in a news release. People who went to the Southwest Deli and Cafe in south Pu…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 47% of the sources are Center
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium
Ownership
To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage