'Serious concerns' raised by MPs after rape allegations on Married At First Sight UK
The committee asks whether Channel 4 and Ofcom handled complaints and duty of care properly after a BBC Panorama investigation aired rape allegations.
- The CMS Committee wrote to Channel and Ofcom regarding 'serious allegations' of sexual misconduct on Married At First Sight, questioning the broadcaster's complaints process following a BBC Panorama investigation aired Monday.
- BBC Panorama aired Monday, detailing claims that one woman was sexually assaulted and two others were raped by partners on the reality show, which sees strangers 'marrying' after meeting and living together.
- The Metropolitan Police urged potential victims of sexual assault to contact them on Tuesday, while Channel Chief Executive Priya Dogra apologized Wednesday, calling the women's accounts 'very troubling' to watch.
- Channel pulled all MAFS episodes from streaming and linear services Monday, citing an external review commissioned last month into contributor welfare, though the broadcaster strongly refutes claims of protocol failures.
- Dogra explained that no decision has been made regarding MAFS series six, as the network expects the external review, commissioned 'just days' after initial contact in April, to be completed later this summer.
18 Articles
18 Articles
Popular British reality show pulled over sexual assault allegations
LONDON (AP) — Broadcaster Channel 4 has pulled all episodes of “Married at First Sight UK” from its platforms after three contestants claimed they were sexually assaulted by on-screen partners on the matchmaking reality show.The broadcaster said the allegations are “very serious,” and the British government said Tuesday there must be “consequences for criminality or wrongdoing.”
The top executive of British television channel Channel 4 has apologized following reports that participants in the reality show Married at First Sight UK were allegedly raped.
After allegations of sexual violence, the British channel Channel 4 took the dating show "Married At First Sight" out of the program.
'Serious concerns' raised by MPs after rape allegations on Married At First Sight UK
Committee chair, Dame Caroline Dinenage, has questioned whether "enough is being done" to "protect people taking part in reality television".
UK MPs write to Channel 4 over Married At First Sight UK "serious" allegations
MPs on the Culture, Media and Sport (CMS) Committee have written to Channel 4 and Ofcom about their response to the "serious allegations" regarding Married At First Sight UK.It comes after one woman accused her on-screen partner of sexual misconduct while on the show, while two other anonymous women alleged they were raped, in a BBC Panorama investigation which aired on Monday (18 May).The letter to Channel 4 asks about its complaints process fo…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 67% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium










