South Korea President Stresses US Alliance as Many Baffled by Trump Order to Cut Exercises
Lee said stronger independent defense and a solid U.S. alliance are needed after Trump ordered a substantial reduction in joint military exercises.
- On Tuesday, South Korean President Lee Jae Myung called for stronger independent defense capabilities, emphasizing that civil-defense exercises alongside joint United States-South Korea military drills are defensive and not intended to threaten North Korea.
- President Donald Trump previously instructed the Pentagon to "substantially reduce" joint military exercises, claiming the drills "send a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile" to North Korea.
- A recent East Asia Institute survey found 46.4% of South Koreans view the United States as "not a trustworthy partner," marking the first time distrust outweighed trust since polling began in 2017.
- The conservative People Power Party criticized Lee for allegedly prioritizing Kim-Trump diplomacy over security, with spokesperson Park Chung-kwon warning that weakening United States defense commitment could shake the "nuclear umbrella."
- Leif-Eric Easley, a professor at Ewha University, noted South Korean leaders face "constant renegotiation" linking economic and security issues, as North Korea vowed to respond to drills with "a new level of a deterrent.
37 Articles
37 Articles
South Korea's president said Tuesday that a strong alliance with the United States strengthens the foundation of national security, as many South Koreans were concerned about US President Donald Trump's surprise order to "substantially reduce" joint military exercises.
After US President Donald Trump on Sunday ordered a reduction in annual joint military exercises with the South Korean military, South Korean President Lee Jae-myung on Tuesday called for military independence from the US, while also calling for faster progress on South Korea's nuclear submarine program.
Seoul in close consultation with US over combined military exercises: security adviser
South Korea has been in close consultation with the United States over their joint military exercises and will continue to do so in the future, National Security Adviser Wi Sung-lac said Tuesday. Wi's remarks come after U.S. President Donald Trump ordered a substantial reduction in joint military exercises with Seoul, a move widely seen as an overture for dialogue with North Korea but feared by many here that it may delay Seoul's efforts to reta…
Lee backs US alliance after Trump cuts South Korea military drills
Lee Jae Myung reaffirmed the US alliance after Donald Trump ordered cuts to joint military drills. The move has sharpened fears in South Korea about deterrence, trust and the future of the alliance.
South Korea president stresses US alliance as many baffled by Trump order to cut exercises
South Korea’s president said Tuesday a solid alliance with the United States underpins national security, after U.S. President Donald Trump’s abrupt order to “substantially reduce” joint military exercises left many many South Koreans baffled and concerned.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 47% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium



















