Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

Nigeria and U.S. forces kill over 20 Islamic State group militants in new offensive

The coordinated strikes followed a recent joint mission that killed a senior ISWAP leader, and officials said no U.S. or Nigerian forces were harmed.

  • On Sunday, Africa Command and The Nigerian military conducted airstrikes in Metele, Borno State, killing over 20 ISWAP militants targeting an Islamic State operational base in northeastern Nigeria.
  • The operation followed the weekend killing of Abu Bakr, deputy leader of the group's local West African "province," marking a new development in military cooperation.
  • Presidents Trump and Tinubu praised the joint military efforts as a turning point, while analysts note cooperation has advanced from an advisory role to active involvement.
  • Nigerian military spokesperson Samaila Uba said efforts "in close coordination" with Africa Command were ongoing to disrupt terrorist networks, with no Nigerian forces harmed near borders with Niger and Chad.
  • Earlier this month, Amnesty International accused the military of killing 100 civilians at a market, following a diplomatic row last year when officials asserted a "Christian genocide" was occurring in Nigeria.
Insights by Ground AI
Podcasts & Opinions

35 Articles

Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 56% of the sources are Center
56% Center

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

Reuters broke the news in United Kingdom on Monday, May 18, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal