Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

New BBC director general Matt Brittin warns that 'tough choices are unavoidable'

Brittin told staff the BBC must make savings and simplify operations as it faces funding pressure and a 10 billion dollar Trump lawsuit.

  • On Monday, former Google executive Matt Brittin began his first day as BBC Director-General at New Broadcasting House in London, arriving amid a $10 billion lawsuit from President Donald Trump over a 2024 Panorama documentary.
  • Trump alleges the Panorama documentary falsely implied he encouraged the 2021 Capitol riot, a controversy that prompted predecessor Tim Davie's resignation last year. Davie resigned after months of pressure over the editing dispute.
  • Brittin must cut up to 2,000 jobs and achieve £500 million in savings while addressing ongoing criticism over editorial standards at the Bafta Film Awards. The broadcaster faces what it describes as "significant financial pressures."
  • Protesters from the National Union of Journalists greeted Brittin outside headquarters, objecting to the planned layoffs. Inside, he told staff the BBC "has never been more needed" but that "tough choices are unavoidable as we make savings."
  • Brittin must manage renewal of the BBC's Royal Charter, which expires in 2027, while negotiating with government over the broadcaster's future. Dame Caroline Dinenage, chairwoman of the Culture, Media and Sport committee, warned he "will have a significant job on his hands.
Insights by Ground AI
Podcasts & Opinions

33 Articles

Center

Matt Brittin, a former Google leader, took office on Monday.

·Montreal, Canada
Read Full Article
La Nación, Grupo NaciónLa Nación, Grupo Nación
Reposted by
Diario Digital Cronio de El SalvadorDiario Digital Cronio de El Salvador
Lean Right

London, UK. Matt Brittin, a former Google manager, took office on Monday as director general of the BBC, at a time when the British public audiovisual group plans to eliminate 2,000 jobs, in the midst of a media crisis. Brittin, 57, was appointed general director of the media giant at the end of March, following Tim Davie’s resignation following a controversial montage of a speech by US President Donald Trump, who has brought the BBC to trial. “…

Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 48% of the sources lean Left
48% Left

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

Evening Standard broke the news in London, United Kingdom on Monday, May 18, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal