Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

Montreal salon must pay $500 to non-binary customer who said booking system was discriminatory

Quebec Human Rights Tribunal ruled Station10 salon discriminated by limiting online booking to binary gender options, ordering $500 damages to a non-binary client representing 0.15% of population.

  • On a ruling issued earlier this month, the Quebec Human Rights Tribunal ordered Station10 hair salon in Longueuil to pay $500 to Alexe Frédéric Migneault after finding discrimination.
  • The online booking form forced clients to choose male or female, blocking complainant Alexe Frédéric Migneault from booking, prompting a complaint to the CDPDJ.
  • The tribunal found discrimination after emails showed staff said gender choice would not affect pricing and that they had previously accommodated 2SLGBTQ+ clients, despite the online form requiring a binary selection.
  • Facing the deadline, the salon has weighed a counterclaim seeking $5,000, while patrons are donating to support an appeal, and it has until March 5 to contest the ruling.
  • Advocates say the ruling could expose many businesses to legal risk, and Celeste Trianon warned this is not an isolated incident affecting transgender and non-binary people.
Insights by Ground AI

9 Articles

Lean Left

The Human Rights Tribunal has ordered a hairdresser to pay $500 in compensation to a non-binary person, a first that could make a case in Quebec and that could lead businesses to better access to these people's requests, according to one expert. But this decision could also exacerbate the division of the debates around their rights, he is concerned.

·Montreal, Canada
Read Full Article
Lean Left

The decision generated strong reactions and a wave of transphobic comments on social networks.

·Montreal, Canada
Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 67% of the sources lean Left
67% Left

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

Le Journal de Quebec broke the news in Quebec City, Canada on Wednesday, February 18, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal