Published 1 day ago • loading... • Updated 8 hours ago
‘Let It Sit on the Shelf’: Manitoba Premier Says Canadians Should Continue Avoiding Purchase of U.S. Liquor
Wab Kinew says Manitoba may restore U.S. liquor only if a trade deal lowers tariffs and protects workers.
Prime Minister Mark Carney has asked provinces to return U.S. liquor to store shelves as part of a trade deal aiming to avert 50 per cent tariffs on nearly $30 billion in Canadian goods, though Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew remains reluctant to agree.
Last year, Canadian provinces removed U.S. liquor from shelves after President Donald Trump imposed sweeping tariffs, prompting Manitoba to mandate a preference for non-U.S. contracts in government tenders.
Kinew told reporters Thursday that an 82 per cent year-over-year decline in Manitoba government spending on American firms resulted from those procurement rules, though he awaits final tariff details.
If American liquor returns, Kinew urged Canadians to "leave it there" and buy local, asserting shoppers retain the agency to say "Crown Royal is better than Jack Daniel's."
While Trump faces domestic pressure from rising costs and federal records related to Jeffrey Epstein, Kinew argued Canada holds the "upper hand," insisting on further worker support at the Gerdau steel mill.
For the restaurateur David Ferguson, the last surprises of the negotiations with the United States do not change anything, he will continue to serve alcohol here.