Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

Family Says Mazwi Kubheka Will Need Trauma Counselling After 30-Day Abduction

Police say ransom demands and a community protest helped secure the release of the spaza shop owner after about a month in captivity.

  • Following a community protest march on Friday, spaza shop owner Mazwi Kubheka found his way to the Vosloorus police station on Saturday evening after escaping his captors on the East Rand.
  • Abducted on April 2, Kubheka was held blindfolded in a building guarded by Malawians; his sister Nonhle Kubheka reported that the Friday protest march angered the captors, causing aggression toward her brother.
  • On Sunday, Gauteng Premier Panyaza Lesufi and Major General Tommy Mthombeni confirmed the victim is in a safe location; Lesufi credited the community's tireless searching and protests for Kubheka's safe return.
  • Police are investigating a suspect whose name is known to the victim, though Major General Tommy Mthombeni noted that three suspects interviewed in the last month resulted in no arrests yet.
  • Determining the motive "remains a grey area," Gauteng Premier Panyaza Lesufi said, as police investigate whether the kidnapping involved a syndicate targeting spaza shop owners or general criminality using hijacked buildings.
Insights by Ground AI

14 Articles

Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 67% of the sources are Center
67% Center

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

eNCA broke the news on Saturday, May 2, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal