Published 4 hours ago • loading... • Updated 6 hours ago
Hundreds rally in Taipei for defence spending after parliament cuts funds
Protesters urged lawmakers to restore funding for U.S. arms, drones and a new air defense system as Taiwan seeks stronger deterrence against China.
On Saturday, hundreds rallied in central Taipei to support government defense spending plans, after Parliament approved only two-thirds of the $40 billion President Lai Ching-te requested.
The opposition-controlled Parliament passed a $25 billion bill this month solely for U.S. arms, citing potential corruption; Kuomintang Chairwoman Cheng Li-wun said the party supports defense but will not sign "blank cheques."
"We need to protect ourselves against China's expansion," said civil engineer Angela Yen, 34. Taiwan Statebuilding Party chairman Wang Hsing-huan told the crowd, "Only by strengthening our national defence can we ensure Taiwan's freedom."
Officials are specifically targeting resources for the new "T-Dome" integrated air defense system as the government attempts to secure the remaining funds from the initial request.
Cheng, who met Chinese President Xi Jinping in Beijing last month, advocated for investing in peace rather than war, arguing against sending the next generation to serve as soldiers.