Defence minister visiting Snowbirds base amid speculation over team’s future
The defence minister said the fleet is nearing the end of its life as the government reviews replacement options and air shows face 2027 booking limits.
- On Tuesday, Defence Minister David McGuinty visited 15 Wing Moose Jaw to address the future of the Canadian Forces Snowbirds amid ongoing speculation about the aerial acrobatic squadron.
- Opposition Conservative member of Parliament Fraser Tolmie raised concerns earlier this month, claiming air show organizers in North America are 'quietly being told' they cannot book the Snowbirds for 2027 events.
- McGuinty confirmed the aircraft fleet is approaching the end of its life but promised the Snowbirds will continue demonstrations as long as the planes remain safe.
- The federal government is examining replacement options but provided no timeline for a new fleet contract, despite Tolmie's call to 'save our Snowbirds.'
- Formed in 1971, the Snowbirds have performed at thousands of air shows, and McGuinty assured Canadians they will enjoy the iconic formation 'for generations to come.
29 Articles
29 Articles
Snowbirds temporarily grounded until early 2030s, awaiting new planes’ arrival - National
The Snowbirds, formed in 1971, have performed at thousands of air shows. The Air Force's CT-114 Tutor jets, which the team uses, were introduced in the 1960s, and will be retired.
Defence minister visiting Snowbirds base amid speculation over team's future
MOOSE JAW — Canada's defence minister is set to make an announcement today at the home base of the Canadian Forces Snowbirds team. David McGuinty's visit
Defence minister visiting Snowbirds base amid speculation over team’s future
MOOSE JAW - Canada's defence minister is set to make an announcement today at the home base of the Canadian Forces Snowbirds team.
‘Heart and soul of Moose Jaw:’ Community reflects on Snowbirds as critics warn fleet could be grounded
The community of Moose Jaw, Sask. is concerned about the future of the Canadian Forces Snowbirds, as the Department of National Defence prepares to unveil a plan critics warn could ground the aerobatic team for years.
Ottawa set to unveil Snowbirds plan amid fears of yearslong grounding
This summer could mark the final season for the Canadian Forces Snowbirds in their current form, as the Department of National Defence prepares to unveil a plan critics warn could ground the aerobatic team for years.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 81% of the sources lean Left
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium











