Commander who was filmed killing civilians in Sudan is back in combat, sources say
Reuters spoke with 13 sources who said the RSF commander was freed after videos showed him executing unarmed people.
- On Monday, nine sources told Reuters that RSF Brigadier General al-Fateh Abdullah Idris, known as Abu Lulu, has been released from prison and returned to active duty in Kordofan.
- Authorities detained Abu Lulu in late October 2025 following the RSF takeover of North Darfur, where verified videos show him executing at least 15 unarmed captives, earning him the nickname "the butcher of al-Fashir."
- According to three sources, deputy commander Abdelrahim Dagalo ordered Abu Lulu's release via radio message, bypassing official channels after he appeared before a six-officer disciplinary board in November.
- Despite official denials from RSF-led Tasis government spokesman Ahmed Tugud Lisan, who claims Abu Lulu remains in custody, two eyewitnesses report seeing him on the Kordofan battlefield in March.
- With U.N. probes finding more than 6,000 people were killed by RSF fighters during the al-Fashir offensive, the U.N. Security Council sanctioned Abu Lulu for human rights abuses, raising questions about international accountability.
9 Articles
9 Articles
Commander who was filmed killing civilians in Sudan is back in combat, sources say
A Sudanese paramilitary commander who was arrested late last year following global outrage over videos of him executing unarmed people in al-Fashir has been released from prison and returned to active duty on the battlefield, nine sources told Reuters.
‘BUTCHER OF AL FASHER’ BACK IN SUDAN COMBAT: REPORT
FILE PHOTO: Abu Lulu, whose true name is Al Fateh Abdullah Idris, is one of the most notorious RSF leader. Tue 19 May 2026: A commander of Sudan’s paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) who was arrested late last year following global outrage over videos of him executing unarmed people in Al Fasher has been released […]
Sudan Conflict Investigation: 1 Shocking Combat Return
Khartoum, Sudan – May 18, 2026 – Brussels Morning Newspaper — The Sudan conflict investigation has gained renewed international attention after multiple sources claimed that a military commander previously filmed killing civilians has reportedly returned to active combat operations. The allegations have reignited global concerns surrounding accountability, human rights violations, and the worsening humanitarian crisis unfolding across Sudan. […]
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 71% of the sources lean Right
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium







