Chris Columbus Explains Why Another ‘Harry Potter’ Film With Original Cast Will Never Happen
Chris Columbus cites J.K. Rowling's controversial views on transgender issues as the reason he will not direct another Harry Potter film with the original cast, calling her stance "very sad."
- On Thursday, Chris Columbus told The Times of London that directing another Harry Potter film with the original cast is "impossible" and "it's never going to happen" due to the political stir caused by J.K. Rowling's views.
- Cast divisions followed after J.K. Rowling's repeated anti-trans remarks, with Columbus saying `everyone in the cast has their own opinion` and he `certainly` finds her viewpoint `very sad`.
- He told Variety that Columbus once hoped to direct Harry Potter and the Cursed Child with the original cast, hasn't spoken to Rowling in a decade, but stays close to Daniel Radcliffe and others.
- As a result, Columbus has scrapped Cursed Child plans because it's `gotten so complicated`, while HBO will soon adapt the Wizarding World and HBO chief Casey Bloys said Rowling was `very, very involved` but her views haven't affected casting; Columbus told trans followers, `I and so many other people around the world see you, respect you and love you for who you are.`
- Earlier this year, Columbus praised the reimagining as a `spectacular idea` but later described HBO and Warner Bros.' adaptation as `more of the same`, with a producer asking `What's the point?`.
76 Articles
76 Articles
‘Harry Potter’ Director Says Original Cast Reunion Would Be ‘Impossible’ | Just Jared: Celebrity News and Gossip
Chris Columbus is explaining why he scrapped his plans for a Harry Potter reunion. In a new interview with The Times published Saturday (August 30), the 66-year-old director talked about his relationship with J.K. Rowling and why a Harry potter reunion will never happen. According to Chris, he had been planning to adapt Harry Potter and the Cursed Child for the big screen, but has since scrapped the reunion plans. Keep reading to find out more… …
Chris Columbus Says It’s “Impossible” To Reunite ‘Harry Potter’ Cast For New Adaptation Given J.K. Rowling’s Transphobia: “Never Going To Happen”
Original Harry Potter helmer Chris Columbus has since scrapped plans to adapt Broadway play Harry Potter and the Cursed Child since it’s “gotten so complicated” to be attached to the Wizarding World without acknowledging or being implicated by J.K. Rowling’s transphobia. In a new interview with The Times U.K., the Academy Award-nominated filmmaker said such a reunion with the original cast would be “impossible” and thus “never” take place. “…
'Harry Potter' Director Says He Couldn't Direct Series Anymore Because Of JK Rowling's Politics
The "Harry Potter" film series is one of the most beloved franchises in entertainment history. Thanks in large part to the incredible world-building from author J.K. Rowling, and generally faithful execution by filmmakers, starting with director Chris Columbus.Columbus, who directed "The Sorcerer's Stone" and "Chamber of Secrets," helped make the series feel authentic, warm, and welcoming. He also now thinks he couldn't do the same thing in the …

Chris Columbus Explains Why Another ‘Harry Potter’ Film With Original Cast Will Never Happen
At one point, director Chris Columbus hoped to direct a film adaptation ofHarry Potter and the Cursed Child, the stage show co-written by Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling, with the original cast from the Harry Potter movies, the first two…
Original Director Chris Columbus Says It’s ‘Impossible’ to Return to ‘Harry Potter’ Because ‘It’s Gotten So Complicated With All the Political Stuff’: ‘Never Going to Happen’
Chris Columbus says it's 'impossible' to return to 'Harry Potter' because it's become 'so complicated with all the political stuff.'
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 44% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium