Carney touts 'substantial progress' after Trump delays tariffs for three days
The pause buys 72 hours for negotiations as Canada seeks relief from sector-specific U.S. tariffs on steel, aluminum, lumber and autos.
- On Tuesday, President Donald Trump announced a three-day delay on planned 50% tariffs against Canada, citing a tentative deal between the two nations.
- President Trump originally announced the 50% tariffs in July under Section 338 of the Tariff Act of 1930, claiming the levies would level the playing field for American exports like cars, alcohol, and dairy.
- Roughly $28 billion worth of Canadian imports would have been targeted by the 50% levies, intensifying a tit-for-tat trade battle between the United States and Canada that has persisted since last year.
- Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney stated that substantial progress has been made, although important work remains; The United States Trade Representative noted the deal includes comprehensive market access for American goods and digital trade alignment.
- The United States agreed to postpone the 50% tariffs until end of day, August 21st, as both nations continue intensive discussions to address outstanding trade issues and deliver greater certainty for Canadian businesses and workers.
58 Articles
58 Articles
Tariff deal on the horizon, but outlook still uncertain for B.C. forestry - Nakusp Arrow Lakes News
A light at the end of the tunnel is beginning to appear with both Prime Minister Mark Carney and U.S. President Donald Trump signalling a trade deal is in the works to avoid punishing 50 per cent U.S. tariffs on many Canadian goods. Trump and Carney spoke late Tuesday night and had what the president called a “very good conversation.” “As you know, the 50 per cent tariffs across the board were going on against Canada today, and they called yeste…
The tariffs were supposed to affect 5% of Canadian exports to the United States. Carney: "C" is still a lot to do.
Trump claims Keystone XL pipeline is being revived. How did we get here?
Canada hasn't commented on U.S. President Donald Trump's claim the Keystone XL pipeline expansion project "may be awoken from the grave" as part of ongoing trade talks between the two countries.
Trump says he had 'a good conversation' with Canadian prime minister about tariffs
President Trump told reporters he had "a good conversation" with Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney about his administration's planned tariffs. The president also discussed his decision to delay implementing the tariffs for a few days as the countries come to a potential trade deal.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 48% of the sources lean Left
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium





























