California boosts mortgage relief to $100,000 for wildfire victims
CalAssist now offers up to $100,000 in grants for 12 months to wildfire survivors, increasing support fourfold and broadening income eligibility, with $6.5 million issued to 793 recipients so far.
- California expanded the CalAssist program on Thursday, Feb. 12, to provide up to $100,000 in non-repayable grants and extend assistance to 12 months, officials said.
- After deadly wildfires that burned more than 23,448 acres, CalAssist Mortgage Fund launched in June 2025 with $20,000 grants to stabilize survivors transitioning from forbearance to rebuilding.
- In Los Angeles County, the income limit rose to $281,400, with Butte County at $255,000, and the program has issued $6.5 million to 793 recipients covering single-family homes, condos and permanently affixed manufactured homes.
- Assemblymember John Harabedian introduced AB 1842 to require mortgage servicers to file monthly reports with the DFPI and face civil actions, following the same day’s civil investigation announced by Attorney General Rob Bonta.
- Harabedian said the deadline would be extended to Jan. 7, 2029, and warned that servicers need more oversight, citing reports of lump-sum demands and lack of enforcement.
15 Articles
15 Articles
Gavin Newsom announces mortgage relief plan while taking shot at Trump administration over wildfire aid
Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom is taking a direct shot at the Trump administration, expanding a state mortgage relief program to $100,000 per household while accusing the White House of "turning its back" on California fire survivors. On Thursday, Newsom announced that disaster-affected homeowners now qualify for a full 12 months of mortgage payment relief, a significant increase from the previous three months, with a total increase to $100,000.Th…
California offers $100K mortgage relief for disaster survivors
Survivors of wildfires and other natural disasters in California can receive up to $100,000 in free mortgage relief through the state's Cal Assist Mortgage Relief Program.The expanded program offers a full year of free mortgage payments to disaster survivors, with increased income limits to help more families qualify for assistance.Kern County has experienced numerous devastating wildfires where countless residents lost their homes, including th…
Gov. Newsom Announces Expansion of CA Mortgage Relief Program for Fire Survivors
A state mortgage relief program that has provided $20,000 in financial support to fire survivors in Southern California will be expanded to provide a full year of assistance up to $100,000 that will not need to be repaid, Gov. Gavin Newsom announced Thursday. Launched in June 2025 by the California Housing Finance Agency, the CalAssist Mortgage Fund initially provided up to $20,000 in grants to homeowners whose homes were damaged or destroyed by…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 58% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium









