Skip to main content
Black Friday Sale - Get 40% off Vantage
Published loading...Updated

Blasts hit sanctioned tankers off Turkey's coast, rescues underway

Two sanctioned Russian tankers, Kairos and Virat, suffered explosions likely caused by mines or unmanned vehicles, with all 45 crew members safely rescued, Turkish officials said.

  • On Friday, two heavily sanctioned tankers, Kairos and Virat, were damaged in near-simultaneous explosions in the Black Sea, prompting Turkey's Maritime Affairs Directorate to launch rescue operations.
  • Turkish officials said an external impact likely caused the Kairos blaze, citing mines, rockets or drones, and noted both vessels are used by Russia's shadow fleet, according to authorities.
  • Kairos, a 274-metre Suezmax tanker, exploded about 28 nautical miles off Kocaeli province, Turkey, and its 25 crew were evacuated after a fire while sailing empty toward Novorossiysk, Russia.
  • Authorities said shipping remained open while both tankers sustained critical damage, removing them from service and dealing a blow to Russian oil transport through the Bosphorus Strait.
  • The incidents echo earlier mystery explosions and ongoing mine risks, as Ukraine's security service claimed underwater drones struck two tankers, while floating mines remain a persistent hazard.
Insights by Ground AI

158 Articles

Lean Right

Both vessels are part of a Russian shadow fleet, which, according to the OpenSanctions database, is being used to circumvent sanctions against Moscow.

·Netherlands
Read Full Article
Right

Ukraine claimed to have attacked two oil tankers in the Black Sea, claiming to have targeted with maritime drones ships of the "Russian phantom fleet" used by Moscow to escape Western sanctions.A source within the Ukrainian security services (SBU) said that Kairo and Virat tankers had been targeted by "Sea Baby" drones during a joint operation conducted by the SBU and the Ukrainian Navy as reported by BFMTV. According to this source, the ships w…

Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 39% of the sources lean Left
39% Left

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

Las Vegas Sun broke the news in Las Vegas, United States on Friday, November 28, 2025.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal